Monday, September 22, 2008

Mac Attack

Don't be fooled by the title of this post. I will not be talking about unusual cravings for greasy food from the golden arches. Instead, today's "glimpse into the underworld" (aka. the English 9 classroom) pertains to nicknames.

Students have a difficult time remembering my last name. It's not just my freshman at MW. My seniors at Bryan and my Boys Town summer school students had the same problem. They just can't seem to remember "Mrs. McIntyre." But nicknames they will remember.

For the first few weeks of school, "Mrs. Mac" was the nickname of choice, but after I pointed out that the teacher next door (Ms. McKenzie) is also often known as "Ms. Mac," it seemed that a new nickname would be in order. Leave it to J., the happy-go-lucky kid who occasionally makes me want to pull my hair out, to come up with the nickname that has seem to have stuck (at least in that class): Mrs. Mac Attack.

Why? I have no idea. But I'm embracing it because it makes the students laugh to hear and say it...and I could certainly be called worse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home