Sunday, April 5, 2009

Thought-provoking

I just finished reading the book Tears of the Desert: A Memoir of Survival in Darfur by Halima Bashir. I highly recommend. Not only does Halima offer an insider's view on the situation in Darfur (as one would expect), but she also tells the charming tale of growing up in a small African village. Both heartwarming and heartbreaking. Challenging on every page. I found myself asking the typical questions of "What should our response be?" and "Why don't we do more?" as well as "Why can't we live in community like that?" (in response to her vivid descriptions of life in the village as a child). The Omaha Public Library has several copies! If you read it, call me so we can have coffee and discuss :)

1 Comments:

At April 27, 2009 at 3:07 PM , Blogger Anthony and Sandy said...

I think I will have to read this one as well. My list of books "too read" is growing because of you friend :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home