Monday, November 3, 2008

angst

Angst-causing items at the Mac house:
  • Chinese beetles. Orange, wanna-be ladybugs. One just flew into my hair as I sat down in front of the computer. Yuk!
  • Graphic designers block (similar to writers block). Scott started on a poster for "Jazz on the Green" yesterday afternoon. Whenever I pop into the office, the design has changed. I think he's on layout number 4 right now. Ah, my perfectionist husband...
  • Writing tests. A very undesirable requirement of teaching. I know, I know, I need to be able to prove my students have learned something, but I feel like I'm either asking small-detail questions that don't really matter in the grand scheme of life or asking questions that they won't understand and will leave me with a pile of essays to grade. Which is the lesser of two evils?

Not to end on a downer, though, let me share a few joy-inducing moments:

  • 79 degrees in November
  • Giving a student a compliment on his improved class behavior and having him shyly say, "Thanks" and seeing the gleam in his eye that says he's excited I've noticed.
  • Sending that same student's parent an email. Her reply was that I may have brought a tear to her eye.
  • Knowing what I'm going to make for dinner.
  • Being surrounded by a clean house.

What are your joy-inducing and angst-inducing lists?

3 Comments:

At November 4, 2008 at 10:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angst-My Toe! Oy!

Joy-Windows that are not drafty, and getting to sit in a big comfy chair next to the biggest one

 
At November 6, 2008 at 1:00 PM , Blogger Rebecca M. said...

Joy - raining leaves... I love fall!

Agnst - I'm 20 weeks pregnant, way out of the first trymester, but why do I toss my cookies every morning?

 
At November 10, 2008 at 8:34 PM , Blogger LA said...

Joy-
Still 60 degrees in here
little girls giggles as they "chase" Buck around the house

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home