Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Final Vacation Thoughts

Arrived back in Home-Sweet-Home Omaha late Sunday night. After a quick trip up to Norfolk to retrieve the cat on Monday, I'm spending the afternoon on the couch (which I feel I've earned after my first run in over a month this morning and about 3.5 hours of yard work. Who knew that so many weeds to grow in the flower bed in one month and that so much grass could grow in such tiny cracks in the sidewalk!)

Isn't it funny how as soon as you're home, vacation memories seem about a million miles away? So, in an effort to capture the last few days of our summer adventure, I offer you this bulleted list:
  • Such a wonderful suprise to see my friend Rebecca from college. She played a big part in making the trip possible because she gave us somewhere to leave our car. Cindy was glad to see us.
  • Scott got a tour of an air craft carrier. I spent those two hours in the car with LeAnn (her Navy pilot husband was giving Scott the tour), sipping Starbucks while the girls watched a DVD. We both had a lovely afternoon.
  • Nothing like ending a vacation with time at the beach. Spent time in Virginia Beach with college friend LeAnn and her family (three adorable girls) and her brother's family visiting from Nebraska. Altogether, five kids under the age of six in the house...hilarious and slightly chaotic.
  • Reapplication of sunscreen at the beach is key. Scott and I forgot this important little detail and are waiting for the peeling to begin. I keep hoping that perhaps it will just fade to tan, but I'm not betting on that.
  • Spent evening, night, and morning with another college friend, Angela, and her husband and five (yes, you read correctly, five) kids. Oldest is six, youngest is one. Yes, she is amazing and slightly insane :) (love you, Ang). Seriously, though, most well behaved kids I've ever spent time around. How many families have you hung out with that included that many young kids that you could still have an adult conversation. Amazing! Great job Ang and Joel!
  • The state of West Virginia is beautiful! The only part not covered with trees is the road.
  • The crispy tacos at Jack-in-the-Box are, apparently, the best tacos ever. We had to make a quick exit when Scott saw the sign. Were they good? Yes. But did I think they were the best ever? I think that's taking it a bit too far. Lucky Scott...ate at Jack-in-the-Box and Chick-fil-a. Does it get any better than that? Yes, it does...in the form of a Sonic blended root beer float, my new favorite summer treat.
  • The drive back from vacation always seems longer than the drive there.
  • And the most exciting news of the week? I don't have to carry the red Osprey over-the-shoulder bag anymore. That bag was starting to feel like a part of me...a part of me I didn't like. I'm so glad to retire it until the next trip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home