Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Evolution of the English Language

If he were sitting in the back of my classroom today, Shakespeare would have laughed. We just started reading Romeo and Juliet today. I must admit, I'm liking it much better the second time around. Two phrases brought about a bout of the giggles today during class. Both invovled the public fight scene at the very beginning of the play. Two of the Capulet's servants (from Juliet's family) are talking "smack" (as I told my students today) about the Montagues. Then two Montagues arrive [cue tense music]. Sampson yells to Gregory "My naked weapon is out!" [pause for a slight snicker that swells into a giggle that surges into all-out laughter]

"Ok, everyone," as I'm trying to keep semi-straight face myself, "let's get the giggles out and move on. He simply means that his sword is drawn and he's ready to fight." Said laughing scene made ever more entertaining by the fact that one of the quieter, smarter kids in the class had to say it. Ah, the irony...

Second, a few lines later, Lord Capulet tried to enter the fray. "Give me my long sword, ho!" he orders his wife.

"He is not calling his wife a hoe," I attempt to be heard above the laughter. "It was just an expression of the day, like saying 'now! quick!' Shakespeare had no idea that word would sink to this level." But I'm smiling as I say it.

Working with teens keeps me on my toes and keeps me from becoming too "old and serious." It's a good thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home