Sunday, April 19, 2009

Creative Dates

Yesterday afternoon Scott took me on a creative mini-date...to a cemetary at 50th and Leavenworth. No, we're not suddenly into vampires or anything crazy like that (though I do have the slight urge to see the movie "Twighlight" after reading several book reports about it this weekend). He's taking a drawing class at Metro this semester (he'll have his associates degree in Graphic Design at the end of May...woohoo!), and this week's assignment was to make pencil/charcoal rubbings of interesting designs/letters/etc from gravestones. (I think I remember doing something similar when I was young, for either 4-H geneology projects or 4th grade Nebraska History). It was a beautiful afternoon and I knew the perfect cemetary, so off we went.

Can I just say that we had a wonderful time? Walking around on a sunny, semi-warm spring afternoon, enjoying the surrounding silence with the faint hum of cars passing on the street, watching his design take shape. Our own little mini-adventure.

Another one of my favorite "creative dates" was the summer after we got married. I had the day off from classes at Creighton and Scott has the day off from fixing airplanes. The driver's door handle on his car was broken (very inconvenient!), so being the frugal fix-it-guy he is, he suggested we visit the junk yard to find a replacement.

Ladies, if you haven't been on a junk yard date, you're missing out. I'm fairly certain I was the only female on the lot. We each paid $1 to enter. The man at the counter gave very accurate directions to the section in the mass of cars (all neatly lined in rows) where the Honda Civics would be. As we walked through the cars, looking for the coveted door handle part, I had several thoughts. One was that I should not have worn flip-flops. It had been raining the day before and it's not like junk yards make a point of having pavement everywhere. The second thought was that I was having a great time, scouring the cars with my guy.

You may say that I was seeing the world through "newlywed" glasses, but we joke about going back (the driver's side back door handle is now broke), and I would. Big adventures are fun, yes, but it's the little ones that make life what is it: very good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home