Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Back to School

I survived my first day as an official teacher...all on my own, no one sitting in the back, telling me what to do, just me deciding what goes on and when. Who wants to join me in a big sigh of relief? All in all, I think teaching at Boys Town this summer is going to be great. My classes are super small (seven or eight students) and discipline shouldn't be an issue with the amazing system they have in place. My biggest concern is getting through the two books (The Jungle is rather long and a "thick" read as I explained to a student today) while keeping things real and interesting for the students. I'll keep you posted as the summer moves along.

The most entertaining question I was asked today: "Did you have electricity on your farm?" Sad thing is, I think the kid was serious when he was asking. Really? Do people think we are that backwards? That's a rhetorical question...no smart-aleck responses, please :)

Random closing thought: speaking of rhetorical questions, anyone seen the movie "Mr. Woodcock"? We rented it from the Red Box this weekend (the McIntyre's heart the Red Bos) and were very entertained. Predictable, yes, but funny along the way with no foul language or nudity. Yes, there is some talk about sex, but in a funny, not offending way (at least we thought so). So if you're looking for some good mindless entertainment, we'd recommend it.

2 Comments:

At June 10, 2008 at 4:31 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

hey, if you want a weekly free red box rental code, let me know...i know where you can find one!

 
At June 11, 2008 at 8:31 AM , Blogger Rebecca M. said...

Boys Town! That's so cool! I was actually born in Omaha and lived in BT for the first few years of my life. My parents were house parents. My mom has some great stories of cooking for 15 hungry boys and infamous camping trips. I hope you enjoy it! I know you'll do great.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home