Sunday, May 18, 2008

Artistic Revelation


Several years ago, one of my wonderfully artistic friends painted an original piece of art to grace the large empty space above my couch.

I love this painting. The bright colors. The way that it doesn't completely match but wonderfully accents the room. And especially the fact that it was made especially for me (well, not quite me, exactly, but for one of my former roommates who decided that it could stay when she left...thanks JTho!)

Several of us have always thought, though, that parts of the painting somewhat resembled a particular part of the female body. It's been a very good-natured joke with the artist and the subject of some very entertaining conversations.

Tonight Ranae changed all that. Maybe it was just a matter of angles. As she was reclining on my couch, she suddenly exclaims, "Jane, the painting looks like a girl's face!" It took me a while to see it (partly because I couldn't get the other thing out of my mind), but then I saw it. Do you? The red on the left side is hair (or a hoody). The next orange stripe is more hair. And the next pink bump is the face, most noticeably the nose.

Ranae thinks we should name the newest "member" of the McIntyre family, so I'm taking suggestions. What do you think should be the name of the girl in the painting? Hurry and cast your votes!

7 Comments:

At May 18, 2008 at 9:43 PM , Blogger SpartnPrincess said...

I have several suggestions. She's so fun and fictional, so here goes; Ramona (yes, you all loved her as kids/teens), Wilhelmina, Penelope, or Philemina. Those are good fiction-character names.

 
At May 19, 2008 at 9:19 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

God bless Ranae. God. Bless. Ranae.

My vote: Clementine. I will also settle for Penelope. Ha.

 
At May 19, 2008 at 1:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

HA! What is so funny is that I have seen a face before, but from the opposite side. Maybe I'll have to show you mine on Wednesday. Did anyone else have a shower with a foux marble look and try to find pictures in it, I used to do that all the time growing up. Very cool Ranae, and thanks for giving us something else to see in the pic! If I gave it a name I'd say Roxanne, just because of the Steve Martin film with the big nose, lets face it, its a big one!

 
At May 20, 2008 at 10:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gingersnap! That is what I would call her. Or Sally. I am not sure why.

 
At May 20, 2008 at 10:37 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS -- I see the first thing that you were talking about. Hmm.

 
At May 20, 2008 at 11:49 AM , Blogger Anna said...

I've seen the face (nose) before, too, but it's always been overshadowed by all the other possibilities therein. Maybe if she gets a name, I'll only see the nose. One can hope.

 
At May 24, 2008 at 5:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about Little Red. Not for the husker mascott, but for Little Red Riding Hood!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home