Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Foody thoughts

The dinner menu for the Mac house tonight: cheesy potatoes and....more cheesy potatoes? Scott could eat them every day, or at least you'd think that based on the number of times he's mentioned them since having them for lunch on Sunday at the confirmation festivities. You know the dish: hashbrown potato cube things (from the bag in the frozen food section), cream cheese, regular cheese, cornflakes, all mixed together and baked into a calorie-laden dish of perfection....ummm....

I'm glad he likes them, don't get me wrong, because most of us can remember a time that we didn't want someone special to find out some quirky thing that our family likes to eat, right? Velveeta anyone? Growing up I almost didn't know that real cheese existed. Velveeta and the parmasean cheese in a shaker can were the staples at our house.

What about homemade sausage? Would he like the meat that is mixed, by hand, on the formica kitchen table in the basement (after it's been thoroughly cleaned of course, I promise!) The casing is real pig intestine and everything. We don't mess around at the Koehler farm. No worries there. He's hooked on the stuff. I made him promise in the car on the way home last week that he wouldn't specifically ask my mom to get some out if we weren't having any for dinner. He very hesitantly agreed. Mom came through for him, though, and had sausage and potato salad waiting for us when we arrived. She loves him like she loves the grandkids, I swear. Gives him anything he wants :)

So we'll be dining on cheesy potatos tonight. I'll probably put a piece of ham on each of our plates, just for good measure, because I cannot, in good conscious, call cheesy potatoes a complete meal. Now, if I were a fantastic wife, I'd also made the always coveted strawberry-cream cheese-pretzel crust salad, but then I'd be raising the bar a bit too high, I think. Gotta save that for later in the week when, again, I'm scratching my head thinking, "What to make for dinner?"

5 Comments:

At May 7, 2008 at 12:42 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

i only heard of strawberry pretzel salad the last year we were in des moines... YUM.

oh - i bought michael these homemade beef sticks at the farmers market last week that said they were 'cased in collagen'. that was waaay more than i needed to know!

 
At May 8, 2008 at 8:35 PM , Blogger sarah beth said...

velveeta!! there is no other way.
we would make cheesey dip with ground beef for tortilla chips with it. or, better yet, add a hunk of it to a box of Kraft mac & cheese. don't knock it 'til you've tried it!!

 
At May 8, 2008 at 9:59 PM , Blogger SpartnPrincess said...

Jello pretzel salad! Need to get you that recipe! Will do that over the weekend. ;)

 
At May 9, 2008 at 9:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh, jello pretzle salad, that was a staple at our thanksgiving and Christmas get togethers! My aunt Jeanie would always make it! A slice of it next to my mom's homemade pie! Those were the days! So you guys used pig intestines? We used lamb, not sure if there is really a difference, just what we used. My job was always to stink the intestine to the sink nozzle to make sure everything was "rinsed" from the insdie. Ick! But I love Cezch sausage. My grandma does not make it anymore!

 
At May 11, 2008 at 10:45 PM , Blogger Anna said...

Cheese = Dairy
Potatoes = Vegetable
Cornflakes = Bread

Sounds like a full meal to me! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home