Wednesday, March 19, 2008

I don't understand

The next book I'm teaching to my seniors is Night by Elie Wiesel. It's a very short book (only 83 pages, a "novella" according to some web pages). What is lacks in lenght, though, it makes up for in impact. You see, Elie is Jewish and at the age of 15, spent almost a year (or maybe over a year...I need to get my facts straight) in Auschwietz (I think I just misspelled that...sorry).

In the last week, I've read that book, read most of a book of Holocaust poetry (thank you, Lindsay), and now I just finished watching an Opera special about the Holocaust and a 60 Minutes special about the Rwandan genocide. I will admit, those things tend to put this girl in comtemplating, rather gloomy sort of mood.

How do I teach this book to my students? Several of them told me yesterday that they don't want to read a Holocaust book because they've studied it so much already that they're becoming calloused to it. Also, I'm an English teacher, not a history teacher, so I need to focus on the right things...but what things? How do I make it relevant to them, to me? How do we take this in and do something more than just be depressed for a bit and then move on? What's my role?

It's ironic timing (God's cool like that, eh?) that I should be doing all this the week after the message at Waypoint last week. This is something that grieves my heart.

Also, my students have their own griefs that need a voice, but I barely know they and they don't really seem to care. Can I figure out a way to encourage them to have a voice? To write, to speak, to move forward instead of harboring anger, guilt?

I don't understand...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home