Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Our next generation

Sometimes I wonder about the kids who are getting ready to graduate and go out and conquer the world...let me share my "laugh of the day" for Monday. We finished reading a part of the Canterbury Tales on Monday. (If you don't know what that is, no worries, most people don't). It is a collection of short stories written several hundred years ago by Geoffry Chaucer.

So, since it's old, there are some words that have developed "alternative" meanings, if you know what I mean. The story we were reading is about a fox and a rooster. I'll spare you the details, but near the end, the fox catches the rooster and runs off with him, intending to eat him. But, can anyone guess what word the author used throughout the story instead of rooster? "Cock" Yup, you read right: "cock". As if it wasn't bad enough that the students snickered a bit whenever someone read the word, to add insult to injury, towards the end of the story there is a line that says something to the effect of "he ran off to eat the cock." Sorry if this blog was a little X-rated for you, but just had to give a glimpse into my days spent with 17 year olds...special, yes...

1 Comments:

At February 27, 2008 at 8:17 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

oh man. that is right up there with my high school chemistry teacher explaining how to 'build' molecules with styrofoam balls. it was all over when he told us 'I just love playing with my balls!" literally, we were rolling in the aisles. class dismissed.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home