Friday, March 14, 2008

Friday morning

Yesterday was the end of the third semester at Bryan (they have a somewhat unusual "intensive block" schedule, so semesters are only 9 weeks long...takes a bit of getting use to...anywho...) Of course, suddenly I have several seniors who have decided that they really do want to pass my class, since it's required for graduation. Hmm...maybe they should've been concerned about that a few weeks earlier? So, in a last ditch effort for a few who are just a few points away from passing, I have spent the morning sitting in the back of the room, supervising eight seniors as they watch Phantom of the Opera and 10 Things I Hate About You. They have to write a 40 question study guide (with answers) for each movie and then write a 200 word essay about which one should be used in class (since we can make a tie to a piece of literature with both of them).

I'm not sure how I feel about this "last chance to pass" day. I think it's an easy way out for some students who should've worked harder (and simply come to class more) throughout the semester. They're good students, though, who I hate to see fail, so here we sit. I'm definately learning that in teaching (as in so many thingn in life, I realize), there are rarely black-and-white rules to follow, answers to all the questions.

We've been talking in class a lot lately about the literary theme "Innocence versus Experience." I'm not gonna lie, sometimes I'd like to go back to the "innocent" part of life, when things seemed easier. But God's in control, so here I go!

Ok, enough of the random musings for the morning. Only 30 more minutes, and then off to enjoy my afternoon...woohoo!

1 Comments:

At March 19, 2008 at 7:55 AM , Blogger SpartnPrincess said...

Hey. On the bright side, you got to watch two good movies while you were "working". :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home