Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Hitting too close to home

Another round of severe weather roaring through the area tonight. The sirens went off, periodically, for about an hour and a half. Sometimes I'd go to the basement, sometimes I'd stay upstairs watching TV.

One of the breaking news stories is about the Little Sioux Scout Camp where a toranado came through just a couple of hours ago. 100 campers were there tonight. 30-40 to injured. 4 dead. My nephew was at that camp. Thank God he's fine. My mom talked to my sister who said that Andrew had a cut or something on his head. They're taking him to a hosptial, I believe, to get checked out, but overall he's fine. Physically, at least. I can't imagine what it would be like to be in the midst of such a dangerous situation.

I was talking with my mom on the phone, and off-handedly mentioned that a scout camp was hit. "Andrew was camping this week!" was her response. As the conversation continued, I became more and more sure that he was at that camp. Mom decided to try to call my sister (Andrew's mom). I decided to take a shower while I waited for her to call back with news. The entire shower I silently prayed that Andrew would be ok. Praise God he is, but that hit way too close to home.

3 Comments:

At June 12, 2008 at 8:12 AM , Blogger Rebecca M. said...

I heard the story this morning and immediately thought of my mid-western friends and family. I'm so sorry to hear that Andrew had to go through that horrible experience... I'm so glad he's ok.

 
At June 12, 2008 at 8:28 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

am SO glad he's OK, SO glad those Scouts know first-aid and are trained well and did the best they could out 'in the elements'. my heart goes out to those four families who don't have Scouts coming home from camp.

 
At June 16, 2008 at 9:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so happy that he is okay!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home