Saturday, September 5, 2009

That was easy!

Today we picked up our new (at least new to us...thanks Kate and Todd!) patio table. We flipped it upside down, tied it to the Yakama rack, and drove it home. That really should be the subject of another post: the items we've hauled on top of Scott's 1993 Honda Civic. The list includes building materials for the deck, patio chairs, patio tables...oh, and yes, of course, bikes :) With a Yakama rack, the possibilities are endless.

But I digress...

Putting out the new table and chairs presented another challenge: what to do with the old ones. I wasn't about to pretend that someone would buy them from me. I had paid $5 for the table at a yard sale and the chairs were still in my garage after all my female roommates moved out, even though I know I was not the one to purchase them (Thank you to Jane Thorson, I believe, for them. Apparently she had no need for cheap plastic deck chairs on her globetrotting adventures). Neither was in good shape. The table top was held to the base with zip ties, and the chairs glossy finish had been baked off in the sun, so one always wondered if they were going to get white powder on their clothes from sitting in the chairs. Not exactly high quality items that I have here.

Nor did I want to go to the trouble of taking pictures and uploading them to Craig's list to give them away. Scott offered to cut them up with the electric saw (Boys, they just can't resist destroying things), so I could slowly get rid of them in the trash, but before we went to that effort, I had one other idea.

I set them on the strip of lawn by the curb, made to "Free" signs from brown paper grocery bags, and hoped for the best. I'm not exaggerating when I say that not more than 45 minutes later, I looked out the front window to see an SUV stopped in front of our house, with a man and woman trying to figure out how to wedge the table and chairs in. They accomplished their goal, and I accomplished mine. I had no idea it would be that easy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home