Monday, June 30, 2008

When I don't know what to write...

I just make a bulleted list of random thoughts, so here goes:
  • last Friday's storm was crazy! It only lasted about 15 minutes, but I have never seen the wind blow so hard outside my house. We were very blessed to escape damage, just a few large branches and tons of little twigs and such. Much worse around town. Large trees down. Power lines down. Busy intersections without functioning stoplights. Our neighbor had a huge tree down in his back yard, just barely missing his brand new deck.
  • related to the storm: being without electricity is much easier in town than it was growing up in the country! Scott made fun of the fact that I was thrilled that our water still worked. "Do you see a plug-in on the toilet?" was his comment, I believe. Growing up, our water came from a well, which required electricity, so when our power was out, we didn't have water...showers, working toilets, you get the picture...so it was much more of a pain. We just lit candles Friday night and pretended we were camping with a very comfy bed.
  • summer school: it's going great, but the students and I are ready to be done with The Jungle. The book gets more depressing by the day. I only have a three day week this week, though, so really, I have nothing bad to say about the job :)
  • sore muscles...I have them! I haven't lifted weights recently, so I was prepared to be sore after the gym class on Friday. Four days later, though, it still hurts to go up and down the stairs. I think I may have actually pulled or strained something. I've never had sore muscles last this long. Feeling a bit wimpy these days, I must admit.
  • cleaning: I've decided I wouldn't want to make a living on it. I'm cleaning very part-time (5-10 hours a week) for a man at church who runs his own cleaning business. It's a good little way to make some extra cash, but I wouldn't want to do it full time. I have an increased dislike for soap scum and black shoe scuff marks on linoleum floors. Vaccuuming, however, with the backpack vaccuum is kind of fun.
  • fun new hair! I splurged last week on some highlights with my regular haircut. No more blah brown hair for this summer-lovin' girl! Changing something about my appearance is always fun when teaching because students have such varied reactions. I have several very trendy girls who said it looked cute, so I must be doing something right, eh?
  • the Summer Arts Festival: JTho and I purused the vendors Sunday afternoon. After looking at photos and paintings that were way out of my price range, I came home with a hummingbird made out of a pop can (way cooler than it sounds, I promise). The Asian couple running the booth had a wide variety of birds, helicoptors, airplanes, and other random pop can art. It looked like the busiest booth at the festival!
  • Jeapordy! I'm addicted...enough said.

There you have it, random thoughts for the last day of June.

3 Comments:

At July 1, 2008 at 3:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sad I missed the Summer Arts Festival. I need to see this hair. I'm happy the storm didn't damage to much. Thank god for toilets :)

 
At July 1, 2008 at 10:05 PM , Blogger SpartnPrincess said...

I hope you were talking about me when you said, 'trendy girls said it looks cute'. He he. It does look cute, for those who haven't seen it. :)

 
At July 5, 2008 at 7:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

HA! The water one made me laugh! I remember that from living with Sandy! There was a bad storm coming through and I told her we better go fill the bath tub up so we have water to flush the toilet (doesn't everyone do that?!?!) And she looked at me like I was crazy! Gotta love growing up rural!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home