Saturday, September 5, 2009

To all you parents out there...

If you ever question if you're doing a good job, I'd like to offer a story with a word of encouragement.

I didn't witness this event first hand, but it was all the talk at school last Monday. A week ago Friday night was the first football game of the season. Millard North vs. Millard West is one of the biggest games of the season, so I'm sure the stands were packed. At half time, just as the dance team was taking their spot on the field, a murmur began to run through the crowd: there was a streaker running on the track!

According to my teacher friend Jen, who was at the game with her 6-year old daughter and friend, the young man ran about half way around the track, realized that he really couldn't go much farther without getting caught, did a couple of hip pumps, hopped the fenced (which all the guys think was incredibly brave and/or stupid) and then promptly got tackled by a couple of school employees.

The kicker in all this story: the young man was an 8th grader! Apparently he was dared with $200 (rumors disagree if the money was from classmates or an uncle) to do the deed, but I'm sure the ticket/fine he got was more than that.

Now for my encouragement: if you're having one of those days with your kids, think to yourself, "Yes, he/she may seem ornery/out of control/(add your own adjective here) but what are the odds he/she will ever do something that stupid?" Not high, I guarantee you.

So to all you parents out there, thanks for the job you do. In my days spent with high school students, I can think of some students who drive me crazy, but the vast majority are good kids. Yours will be, too...I'm sure of it :)

1 Comments:

At September 11, 2009 at 8:27 AM , Blogger Anthony and Sandy said...

Hip pumps?!?!? Oh dear lord I would have died laughing.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home